[389-devel] RFC: New Design: Fine Grained ID List Size

thierry bordaz tbordaz at redhat.com
Thu Sep 12 13:39:20 UTC 2013

On 09/10/2013 04:35 PM, Ludwig Krispenz wrote:

> On 09/10/2013 04:29 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:

>>> yes, the topic of filter reordering or caching could be looked at
>>> independently.
>>>
>>> Just one concern abou the syntax:
>>>
>>> nsIndexIDListScanLimit:
>>> maxsize[:indextype][:flag[,flag...]][:value[,value...]]
>>>
>>> since everything is optional, how do you decide if in
>>> nsIndexIDListScanLimit: 6:eq:AND "AND" is a value or a flag ?
>>> and as it defines limits for specific keys, could the attributname
>>> reflect this, eg nsIndexKeyIDListScanLimit or nsIndexKeyScanLimit or
>>> ... ?
>>
>> Thanks, yes, it is ambiguous.
>> I think it may have to use keyword=value, so something like this:
>>
>> nsIndexIDListScanLimit: limit=NNN [type=eq[,sub]] [flags=ADD[,OR]]
>> [values=val[,val...]]
>>
>> That should be easy to parse for both humans and machines.
>> For values, will have to figure out a way to have escapes (e.g. if a
>> value contains a comma or an escape character).   Was thinking of
>> using LDAP escapes (e.g. \, or \032)
> they should be treated as in filters and normalized, in the config it
> should be the string representation according to the attributetype

Hi,

    I was wondering if this configuration attribute at the index level,
    could not also be implemented at the bind-base level.
    If an application use to bind with a given entry, it could use its
    own limitations put for example into operational attribute in the
    bound entry itself.
    So that two applications, using the same filter component could have
    their specific idlist size.
    Anyway if it makes sense it could be added later.

best regards
thierry