[389-devel] RFC: New Design: Fine Grained ID List Size

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Sep 12 14:40:26 UTC 2013

On 09/12/2013 07:39 AM, thierry bordaz wrote:
> On 09/10/2013 04:35 PM, Ludwig Krispenz wrote:

>>> Thanks, yes, it is ambiguous.
>>> I think it may have to use keyword=value, so something like this:
>>>
>>> nsIndexIDListScanLimit: limit=NNN [type=eq[,sub]] [flags=ADD[,OR]]
>>> [values=val[,val...]]
>>>
>>> That should be easy to parse for both humans and machines.
>>> For values, will have to figure out a way to have escapes (e.g. if a
>>> value contains a comma or an escape character). Was thinking of
>>> using LDAP escapes (e.g. \, or \032)
>> they should be treated as in filters and normalized, in the config it
>> should be the string representation according to the attributetype
>
> Hi,
>
>     I was wondering if this configuration attribute at the index
>     level, could not also be implemented at the bind-base level.

It could be - it would be more difficult to do - you would have to have
the nsIndexIDListScanLimit attribute specified in the user entry, and it
would have to specify the attribute type e.g.

dn: uid=admin,....
nsIndexIDListScanLimit: limit=xxxx attr=objectclass type=eq
value=inetOrgPerson

Or perhaps a new attribute - nsIndexIDListScanLimit should be not
operational for use in nsIndex, but should be operational for use in a
user entry.

>     If an application use to bind with a given entry, it could use its
>     own limitations put for example into operational attribute in the
>     bound entry itself.

Yes, and we already do this for other limits.

>     So that two applications, using the same filter component could
>     have their specific idlist size.
>     Anyway if it makes sense it could be added later.

Yes, thanks.