[389-users] 389-ds on OpenSuse 11.2 and some problems

Roland Schwingel Roland.Schwingel at onevision.com
Mon Jan 11 15:18:08 UTC 2010

Hi...

First I have to say, that I am completely new to 389ds and (mostly) also
to LDAP.

But I want to setup an 389ds environment. I think I have managed to
compile 389ds
for OpenSuse 11.2. I am using OpenSuse as of the fact I am in a closed
network
with no access to the internet. So I have to use a distribution which
makes it
possible to install packages from the DVD. I find package management in
a closed environment with OS much easier as with FC or ubuntu which all
require internet access.

So, I believe I got everything compiled from sources on my OS, which was
more
complicated then I expected. I also walked thru to setup-ds-admin.pl.
ns-slapd and adminserver are running. From what I can see is my (empty)
ns-slapd is running fine.

I use the 389ds adminserver on top of an apache 2.2.14 and I got some
trouble with the adminserver. I had to tweak the LoadModules sections
in the adminserver's httpd.conf. They appear to belong to an older apache
version. I mostly removed all entries here.

Problem 1: Webpages
When I open the adminserver webpage (http://<myhost>:9830) and click on
"Fedora Administration Express" I get an (mostly) empty page justs
reading:
NMC_Status: 1
NMC_ErrType:
NMC_ErrInfo:
NMC_ErrDetail:
Does anybody know what this means and what might be broken here?

Problem 2: Adminserver console
Here I get a lot of errormessages when trying to click something in the
"Tasks" Tab. The only thing that appears to work is "Restart Server".
When I click eg. "Configure Admin Server" I get an alertpanel from java:
It is titled "Remote Request Error" and its content is:
>From the adminserver's access.log I see that there is a HTTP POST to
this URL but it seems to succeed. Responsecode is 200.
There are also some repeatign suspicous entries in the error.log:
[client <client-ip-adress>] admserv_host_ip_check: ap_get_remote_host
could not resolve <client-ip-adress>
where <client-ip-adress> is the ip adress of the host where the console is
running on.
>From what I can see is my DNS setup ok. my client host is resolveable
forward
and also backward. Any ideas on this issues?

Thanks for your help,

Roland