virtio-win drivers

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 18:58:53 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 12:49:26PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > These drivers can be hosted in Fedora space, by providing the binaries
> > and source -- although Fedora Hosted is acceptable, the Board left the
> > choice of location to the Infrastructure team.  Mike McGrath and the
> > team will be happy to work with you on that.
>
> A quick followup; I made a suggestion that we include a requirement
> "and clear instructions for building the software".
>
> A sample is:
>
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/pango/tree/README.win32
>
> Though more ideally, you mention the exact versions of tools (such as
> MSVC++) used to build the drivers.
>
> The basic idea here is to avoid the "bus factor"; a few simple notes
> can easily save a huge amount of time if for some reason someone has
> to rebuild and the original developer isn't available.

Great idea, Colin.  I proposed a patch to the Websites team that posts
information on binaries in the FAQ on fedorahosted.org:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/websites/2010-January/007575.html

> Does virtio-win have such instructions?

The instructions should (at a minimum) appear with the rest of the
source code, in whatever way that's distributed.