[Ambassadors] Runoff election for Board seat has begun.

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 23:29:40 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 6:06 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 06/12/2012 03:34 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>>
>> He should just do the most honourable thing and step down from this
>> election since he has already has a seat in another governing body
>> within the project and this process be fixed so that no individual can
>> serve in more the one governing body at a time and that we only hold
>> another elections between individuals with votes that ended up in a tie
>> that did not get elected to ( or are not serving in ) another governing
>> body with in the project
>

> Is this a policy?  I believe we've had multiple cases of FESCo and Fedora
> Board positions being filled by the same person.  If you look beyond that,
> is it really unreasonable to have a person who's holding a position in one
> aspect of the Fedora project serve a role on a different governing body in a
> different aspect of Fedora?  Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Wow, my attempt to inject a little fun into this situation failed.

No, it is not a policy. I think every governance body has considered
in the past making it a policy and rejected the idea. The facts are
that quite a few times we don't have enough contributors interested in
participating in governance and we should be grateful to those who are
willing to pick up our slack (our meaning those thousands of us who
every election choose to not run) by running for the open positions.

In this case had Nick not run for the Board there would have been
three candidates and three open seats, that isn't an election. Had he
not run for FAmSCo there would not have been the required number of
candidates to even hold the FAmSCo election as scheduled. Win or lose
I thank Nick for contributing to the process by making both elections
happen and for being willing to volunteer to serve on two bodies when
so many others aren't willing to serve on even one.

John