[Ambassadors] Runoff election for Board seat has begun.

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 00:52:45 UTC 2012

On 12 June 2012 18:38, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/13/2012 12:00 AM, Jared K. Smith wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 5:50 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
>> <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Has there been a survey which ask people why they don't participate in
>>> voting or running for office to confirm/deny what you mention or did
>>> those
>>> that rejected it merely base it on an hunch?
>>
>> Not that I know of, but if people don't take the time to participate
>> in voting, I doubt you'd get a representative sample of them to
>> participate in your survey to tell you why they didn't participate in
>> the elections.
>

> I would beg the differ but hey again that's just me.
>

>>> Do we have any "election committee" filled with people not already
>>> serving
>>> in any of those governing body's being elected to that manages and
>>> oversee
>>> the election process and anything that goes with it. ( like producing
>>> participation stats etc. )?
>>
>> No, we have an "Election Wrangler".  That person volunteers to make
>> sure the elections happen in a smooth and organized way.  Having been
>> the FPL and run elections with and without the help of an Election
>> Wrangler, I can say that it's a huge help, even though it doesn't get
>> a lot of fanfare or attention.  So, for whatever it's worth, I'm going
>> to tip my hat to the Election Wranglers that have helped make our
>> elections better.  Thank you for stepping up and making the FPL's job
>> easier.
>

> I also would like to thank all the Election wranglers
>

>> If you're interested in making the elections better, feel free to
>> volunteer to be the the next Election Wrangler.
>

> Well I for one would rather that we have an election committee that sets the
> election rules etc and as well has handles the aftermath rather then an
> single individual doing all this stuff.
>
> And I feel that and "election committee" if it ever comes to be would need
> to be made up of individuals not serving in any governing body ( that
> includes the FPL ) and each corporate entity cannot have more than one
> individual on that committee to ensure that the election rules in place are
> in the best interest of the community and the people participating in it.

The reason we have a wrangler over an election committee is that the
committees in the past rapidly became one person as people bailed left
and right for real job issues. And to be quite clear, most of the
election wranglers have not worked for Red Hat... so please just stop
with the "Red Hat is putting the thumb screws on the Fedorans". It got
tiring last year and is now at the point where I have to ask "Why are
you still around if all you can say is that Red Hat keeps you here
against your will."

> When the call for votes came I seriously cant have been the only individual
> that was wondering why the numbers of voters aren't equal in all area
> amongst other things that might be read from this and feel it warrants to be
> looked into further.

Dude. Because people vote for what they are interested in? And there
is no "incentive" to vote (eg maintaining membership, etc.) and there
is no publicity to who votes and who does not.

> ( For example just look at the number of participants out of ca 6000
> possible voters.)
>
> * Board: 151 voters
> * FAMSCo: 163 voters
> * FESCo: 184 voters

That is about average. Most of those 6000 people sign up and do one or
two things and then leave until something comes up again they feel
they need to do.