[Ambassadors] Campus Ambassadors -- Where we are and where we want to be (the Ambassadors List version)

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 14:39:25 UTC 2010

2010/4/10 Ryan Rix <ry at n.rix.si>:
> Hello one and all!
>
> The work to reenergize the Fedora Campus Ambassadors program continues! I
> just wanted to let the list know of a few things, and ask a few
> questions..
>
> I just mailbombed about twenty people listed on the CampusAmb page[1] who
> are listed, but are not a member of Fedora's ambassadors group, asking
> them to apply for ambassadorship if they are interested in joining the
> program. The rationale for this is explained at [2]. tl;dr: Campus
> Ambassadors are regular ambassadors who represent themselves at schools
> rather than the entire community. As such, anyone who's actually
> interested in joining Campus Ambassadors is about to go find a mentor...
> Just giving our loving mentors a heads up :)

I really don't understand this. If campus ambassadors are regular
ambassadors then they represent the Fedora Project, not just
themselves. If they are regular ambassadors they have been through the
mentoring process or it does not apply to them.

> Which takes me to my next thing... I considered bringing this straight to
> FAMSCo, but maybe bringing it to the main list would be a good way to come
> up with possible a better solution. I'd like to propose having a few new
> mentors added to the current list of Fedora Ambassadors Mentors. Yes, yes,
> I know, crazy. These mentors would not be allowed to mentor anyone
> _except_ campus ambassadors and/or they would be the only ones allowed to
> mentor campus ambassadors, so that they get proper vetting and training as
> to how they can affect campuses, since they are decidedly different places
> that the Real World. What are everyone's thoughts on this? How would we
> make this happen?

I don't see a reason to formalize this at the level of FAmSCo to start
with. Can't the folks inside the campus ambassador program mentor each
other without so much formality?

There are different notions of mentoring and I think they often get
confused. You want a different kind of mentoring than what happens
during the "join the ambassadors group" stage. You want specific
mentoring about specific things. I think you should just empower
yourselves to provide it without further ado.

John