[Ambassadors] FAmSCo elections coming your way

Max Spevack mspevack at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 20 19:20:47 UTC 2011

Hi Ambassadors,

It's been a few months now since I no longer had an active role in the
resource side of Fedora Ambassadors, and even longer since I was a
formal member of FAMSCO.

Even so, I wanted to take a few moments to write about some of the
topics that I'd like to see FAMSCO take a look at over the next year, in
order to make sure that Ambassadors overall is healthy, and to make sure
that FAMSCO itself is providing value to the Fedora community at large.

I've organized my thoughts into a few categories:

IDENTIFY

For each region (NA, LATAM, EMEA, India, APAC), make sure you can list
out 10 Ambassadors who are obviously go-to leaders in that region.
Folks who are active on the list, organizing and coordinating events,
keeping resources flowing, mentoring contributors, etc.  Make sure that
someone on FAMSCO making a personal connection with each of those people
at least once per month, for a private IRC chat or a phone call.  If you
can't come up with 10 names in a region, treat that as a red flag and
work with the folks who are active and leaders in that region to reach
out to other members of the FOSS community.

SIMPLIFY

Come up with a list of 5-7 basic things that FAMSCO wants to ensure
exist for Ambassadors across the globe, and make sure it exists, working
with and in the regional Ambassador groups to do so.

Some possibilities:

* HOWTOs for event organization
* HOWTOs for media production and event kits
* Budget guidance and categories that need approval, that don't need
approval, etc.
* List of the 5 most important non-FUDCon and non-FAD events in the
region, and ensure they have owners and budget.
* etc.

CONNECT

Here's an idea that I have given the boring name of 3x3.  The goal --
each Ambassador's goal is to introduce (or re-energize) 3 contributors
to 3 different parts of the Fedora Project.  Find these folks, mentor
them into different parts of Fedora, introduce them to the Fedora
community on your blog or mailing list as part of the 3x3 challenge, and
then make sure that they are having some success in the part of Fedora
that they have joined.  Set aside some funding to incent people who are
embracing this challenge (either current or new contributors) with
sponsorships for FUDCons or FADs.

PAY

Make sure that the regional Ambassador credit card program is still
working, and not having any issues in terms of bill payment by Red Hat.
Consider expanding the program by another 1 or 2 people, and work with
Red Hat's Fedora leadership to determine the best way to do this.

Keep a wiki page that lists every expense that could *not* be paid with
the community credit cards, and work with Red Hat's Fedora leadership to
figure out how to get those reimbursed in other ways.  This wiki page
can be as simple as a list of trac tickets.

Make sure that there is a reimbursment SLA that is followed by the
community credit card holders and Red Hat's Fedora leadership who are
able to reimburse.  Collaborate w/ Red Hat to come up with a good policy
here.

--Max