[Ambassadors] [Fedora-freemedia-list] OT: Ambassador Multi-Live(cd) DVD

Jukka Palander jukka at devspain.com
Fri Sep 21 16:02:14 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-09-21 at 10:34 -0500, inode0 wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Jukka Palander <jukka at devspain.com> wrote:
> >
> > Note: I will post this into the Ambassadors list as well so they can
> > have a say to this problem so therefore I am top-posting:
> >
> > Didn't we have this available as torrent link? And if not WHY?
>
> No. This media was something of an experiment or proof of concept by
> ambassadors. So it isn't to be considered quite the same way other
> distributed media is yet at least. And while we have always made it
> available to download it really wasn't intended to be something end
> users download.

Ah, OK.

> > NOTE: Do not download the F17 Gnome Live (default)! It is still
> > broken!!!
>
> Can you provide a link to the broken media? I haven't heard of this
> issue with the media I think you are talking about above.

Just go to fedoraproject.org and go to default download link!

I tried it 2 times and yes, it will hang up when you start installation.
Just when you have selected all the "normal stuff" like keyboard,
location, root password etc and when installer starts to copy files. It
will start to write files and approximately at 1/3 on the process it
gives an error saying that there is something wrong with the hard disk
and the disk should be sector fixed!
This is weird indeed, (I went to that one first and even changed the HD
on the laptop!!!) still same problem. Then I chose to install XFCE spin
and all went OK. Then i had to put Gnome on top to XFCE from yum.

I did download (and burned) the package twice, so it must be the iso
image which is failing. Also tried to save it into the USB stick with
both Fedora USB Creator and with Unetbootin. Same result.

> > I just tried it last week and it WILL give an disk read error when
> > installing. In example XFCE spin works well though.
> >
> > Just have to say - why on earth one broken iso is still available!!!???
> > Rather make a link to old 16 or say that it is broken so you cannot
> > download.
>
> If you are talking about the main default live desktop media I can
> only guess that while it may be failing for you it must be working for
> most people or I would have heard more about this before now.

> There is a problem with the installation media that ambassadors use
> for pressed media and since we didn't intend to press more of it after
> fixing the problem infrastructure just made it so people could not
> download it. One could argue we should have replaced it with fixed
> media but since this wasn't a primary download I really don't think it
> matters much at this point. We will be more careful in the future so
> that doesn't happen again.

I found the failure only with Gnome Live. -just last weekend when I had
to install Fedora for my client and I didn't have Gnome Live on my hand.

So has this indeed something to do with the earlier post (some time ago
like you mention) when I saw a message in (ambassadors list) that
produced CDs (DVDs) are not working?

Or is this really some kind of computer related issue. Laptop where I
was installing was the "normal" Packard Bell laptop. ?

> John

I was about to mention this at Monday, but I was sooooo busy at work
that I just couldn't act before.

Has someone else found this problem?

--
Jukka