[fedora-arm] Fedora ARM on OLPC

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Wed Jun 9 18:36:45 UTC 2010

Hi,

   >> Would it help if we bought some Sheevaplugs, put them online as
   >> koji builders and gave access to Fedora developers?  That sounds
   >> like something we could do.

   > Thanks for the offer, but not sure it would help: GlobalScale is
   > backlogged on the production of both SheevaPlugs and GuruPlugs,
   > so I doubt a new order would arrive any earlier than the 20 units
   > already coming -- plus the local builders are connected directly
   > to the hub by GigE. (Update today: GlobalScale says the plugs
   > will ship the last week of June).

I told our Marvell contact about this this morning, and he immediately
drove over to us to drop off a loan of three SheevaPlugs and a GuruPlug;
we can put them online behind Gig-E on MIT's network and give out access
if it'll help tide things over until your units show up.  (Kudos to
Marvell for the fast loan!)

   > We used qemu-system-arm to do initial feasibility testing last
   > semester.  On a decent Intel box, it runs at about 10% of the
   > speed of a Sheeva/Guru when executing build tasks.

*nod* That's a shame.

   > Perfect, thanks! Looks like there are a few dozen packages you
   > use that are missing in F12 ARM.

Ah, do you have the diff to look over?

Thanks,

- Chris.