[fedora-arm] Any thoughts on running Fedora+XFCE on an Efika Smartbook?

Niels de Vos devos at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 13 21:31:42 UTC 2011

On 5/16/11, Steev Klimaszewski <steev at genesi-usa.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 9:49 PM, Jon Masters <jcm at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 2011-05-15 at 12:07 +0100, Niels de Vos wrote:
>>
>>> I know that some of you have an Efika Smartbook
>>> (http://www.genesi-usa.com/products/smartbook) and am interested in
>>> your opinions on it. I'm looking to getting one myself, but only if
>>> there are positive experiences with it.
>>
>> I run mine with XFCE just fine. We need a standard kernel package, but
>> we'll be looking into that in due course. For now, only problem with
>> stock (older) kernel I'm using is lack of resume. I have an external USB
>> to VGA adapter I want to get working soon for presentations.
>>
>> Using in the garden/Starbucks/outdoors is fine.
>>
>> Jon.
>
> I've seen suspend/resume mentioned a few times on here as not working
> (I'm assuming Fedora); I'm not if you need a specific pm utils
> version, but all you should need to do is add a config file with the
> following in it:
>
> SUSPEND_MODULES="ehci_hcd"
> SLEEP_MODULES="ehci_hcd"
>
> The big reason is that everything is on the USB bus, so when it comes
> back from suspend, it re-probes everything.  (Assuming you're building
> with the latest kernel sources in Gitorious, you'll want the usb
> portions to be modules, assuming you aren't using the
> mx51_efikamx_defconfig )
>
> I've no person experience with building a kernel on Fedora, but
> hopefully that helps someone out :)

Yeah, this makes suspend work with the standard efika kernel (from the
Ubuntu installation). Thanks for pointing it out, I was wondering why
suspend wasn't working as expected :)

Not tried with a custom/Fedora kernel yet. But the ehci is a module
there as well, so I do not expect any issues.

Cheers,
Niels