[fedora-arm] Who's using Kirkwood?

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Sat Oct 6 14:31:11 UTC 2012

On 10/06/2012 09:50 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Jon Masters <jcm at redhat.com> wrote:

>> I'm interested to know who is using Kirkwood, and who would miss it if
>> it went away. For now, we won't kill off ARMv5 because it is used in the
>> official rPi builds but that doesn't mean I'm not interested to know
>> whether we should put testing effort into Kirkwood for F18.
>>
>> My thought is that the latest plugs are moving to ARMv7, and so as the
>> cutting edge Linux distro, we should make plans for deprecating support
>> over the coming releases. This is not a call to drop support today. If I
>> can get numbers on how many people care, that will help.
>
> Jon you have such a terrible way with words!
>
> To explain what I believe Jon is trying to say a little better let me
> outline my thoughts.

<snip v5, etc.>

To be clear, I was also thinking about v5 longer term (as everyone is
I'm sure) but no, all I meant in the above was Kirkwood in particular.
I'm genuinely curious who relies on it now and who will test it. My
"terrible way with words" probably relates to the bit about *not*
killing off v5, which I added only to offset anyone thinking I was
suggesting something more than just trying to understand who needs
Kirkwood to work. If the only official v5 target were an emulation
platform for example, that would give a kernel but would be easier for
anyone to test if it turns out Kirkwood doesn't have enough testers.

But, apologies for the wording.

Jon.