[fedora-arm] Who's using Kirkwood?

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Mon Oct 8 18:35:04 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 05:43:33AM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> I'm interested to know who is using Kirkwood, and who would miss it if
> it went away. For now, we won't kill off ARMv5 because it is used in the
> official rPi builds but that doesn't mean I'm not interested to know
> whether we should put testing effort into Kirkwood for F18.
>
> My thought is that the latest plugs are moving to ARMv7, and so as the
> cutting edge Linux distro, we should make plans for deprecating support
> over the coming releases. This is not a call to drop support today. If I
> can get numbers on how many people care, that will help.

I bought several Kirkwood devices with the expectation to run Fedora on
them and would like to test it at least on a Seagate Dockstar, but the
little instructions and installer support always scared me away. For
example for Debian there are really good instructions to get the
installer running:
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/index.html

It also includes instructions to update the boot loader and supports
installing on USB, SD card and eSATA. The Fedora instructions only
mention to dd an image on a SD card on the other hand.A

Maybe Fedora ARM could reuse some of the information provided for Debian
to ease installation of Fedora ARM as well.

Regards
Till