[fedora-arm] cloned sd card is not booting

Niels de Vos devos at fedoraproject.org
Mon Aug 4 18:47:26 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 01:49:03PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I am getting far enough into my system build that I don't want to go
> back to square one everytime I mess up.  So I decided I SHOULD be
> able to clone my boot drive with:
>
> sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror; sync
>
> And I did check that my working card is in sdb and the target is
> sdc.  Note that the target drive has been used for prior testing.
>
> But this cloned card fails to boot, so there is something wrong with
> the above command.  Here is the end of what I am seeing on the
> console in the boot:

> [   13.911063] systemd-fsck[368]: _/: The filesystem size (according
> to the superblock) is 3587707 blocks
> [  OK  ] Started dracut pre-mount hook.
> [   13.919598] systemd-fsck[368]: The physical size of the device is
> 3548795 blocks
> [   13.937109] systemd-fsck[368]: Either the superblock or the
> partition table is likely to be corrupt!
> [   14.571964] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p3): bad geometry: block count
> 3587707 exceeds size of device (3548795 blocks)
> [FAILED] Failed to mount /sysroot.

During boot, is is detected that the size of the filesystem (stored in
the filesystems meta-data) is larger than the partition where it is
located. This suggests that the 'clone' is written to a smaller sd-card
than the original.

You might be able to 'fix' your working card, by resizing the filesystem
of the 3rd partition. In the system where you do the 'dd', the partition
would be '/dev/sdb3' and the commands you can use are 'resize2fs' or
'parted'.

Good luck,
Niels