[fedora-arm] cloned sd card is not booting

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Aug 4 19:35:29 UTC 2014

On 08/04/2014 02:47 PM, Niels de Vos wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 04, 2014 at 01:49:03PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> I am getting far enough into my system build that I don't want to go
>> back to square one everytime I mess up.  So I decided I SHOULD be
>> able to clone my boot drive with:
>>
>> sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc bs=4096 conv=notrunc,noerror; sync
>>
>> And I did check that my working card is in sdb and the target is
>> sdc.  Note that the target drive has been used for prior testing.
>>
>> But this cloned card fails to boot, so there is something wrong with
>> the above command.  Here is the end of what I am seeing on the
>> console in the boot:

>> [   13.911063] systemd-fsck[368]: _/: The filesystem size (according
>> to the superblock) is 3587707 blocks
>> [  OK  ] Started dracut pre-mount hook.
>> [   13.919598] systemd-fsck[368]: The physical size of the device is
>> 3548795 blocks
>> [   13.937109] systemd-fsck[368]: Either the superblock or the
>> partition table is likely to be corrupt!
>> [   14.571964] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p3): bad geometry: block count
>> 3587707 exceeds size of device (3548795 blocks)
>> [FAILED] Failed to mount /sysroot.
> During boot, is is detected that the size of the filesystem (stored in
> the filesystems meta-data) is larger than the partition where it is
> located. This suggests that the 'clone' is written to a smaller sd-card
> than the original.

Interesting.  I bought these cards as a batch.  Well rather I reached
into the bin at the checkout counter and took out 8 16Gb microSD cards.
So there differing size is probably due to quality control issues or such.

> You might be able to 'fix' your working card, by resizing the filesystem
> of the 3rd partition. In the system where you do the 'dd', the partition
> would be '/dev/sdb3' and the commands you can use are 'resize2fs' or
> 'parted'.

When I mount the card back in my notebook, only __boot is being
automounted.  __ is not mounting.  And Gparted is showing the card as
14.49Gb of 'unallocated' space.  Not even showing __boot and the swap
partitions.

So I will have to read the manpages on parted and resize2fs to figure
them out.  Oh, /dev/sdb1, sbd2, and sbd3 are showing when I do an 'ls
/dev/sd*'.