[fedora-arm] SunXI kernel 3.16 - Re: Device support for Fedora 21

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 14:05:53 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> I see below you saying are based on the 3.16 kernel?  From:

Yes, at the moment Fedora 21 GA is currently scheduled to be based on
3.16, as a result that is what we are planning on.

> I see listed the 3.17 kernel, though addins for the A20 is not needed by me.
> But what concerns me, and I know it is out of control of this group, is that
> my reading of this page is Video support is HARD and there is no listed work
> in progress?

You're right.... it is hard and it'll only work on Fedora when it
lands upstream.... when ever that may be. Until that time the
AllWinner devices will only be supported as headless devices. That
doesn't mean they are not useful for dozens of different use cases.

> If so, what can I expect on Video support on my Cubieboard 2, or am I just
> doing something wrong with the xfce build?  And I am trying to get vnc
> server working so I can at least test out the video components installed are
> working, but I can't get vnc-server up in this systemd mode; pointers would
> be appreciated.  I followed one tutorial on F20 and it worked for a while,
> then stopped.

You can't expect Video on your Cubieboard 2 any time soon. We've been
over the status of video support on the AllWinner devices with you on
a number of occasions, asking a dozen different ways on a dozen
different threads isn't going to change that outcome.

If you need direct graphics on a ARM device I suggest you get a
different device. In terms of vnc I have no idea what you're doing
wrong, others have had it work without issue, and you seem to have at
some point. What about remote X forwarding over ssh?