[fedora-arm] SunXI kernel 3.16 - Re: Device support for Fedora 21

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Aug 13 16:12:19 UTC 2014

On 08/13/2014 12:03 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
>>> Yes, at the moment Fedora 21 GA is currently scheduled to be based on
>>> 3.16, as a result that is what we are planning on.
>>
>> So this means that anything SunXi adds will not make it into F21 GA?  I am
>> just trying to understand the process.  I am willing to test with what I
>> have and report test results.
> No, it means that anything based on SunXi won't have graphical display
> support and will require a serial console. As I've mentioned before
> it's still a useful device for numerous use cases.

>>> You're right.... it is hard and it'll only work on Fedora when it
>>> lands upstream.... when ever that may be. Until that time the
>>> AllWinner devices will only be supported as headless devices. That
>>> doesn't mean they are not useful for dozens of different use cases.
>>
>> And I DO have some of those as well.  That is headless device applications.

>>> You can't expect Video on your Cubieboard 2 any time soon. We've been
>>> over the status of video support on the AllWinner devices with you on
>>> a number of occasions, asking a dozen different ways on a dozen
>>> different threads isn't going to change that outcome.
>>
>> I won't argue the number of times; pointless other than I know I am causing
>> you a level of frustration.  Sorry.  I am checking that I understand the
>> process and what to expect and what to watch for and where I might be able
>> to contribute testing time.
>>

>>> If you need direct graphics on a ARM device I suggest you get a different
>>> device.
>>
>> armv7, min 1Gb memory, Sata support, under $100?  Please tell me what other
>> devices I should consider?  I have gleaned the few lists that I have
>> followed for discussion on devices.  I have read the list of supported
>> devices for F21 and in most cases went to the device site to see what it
>> offered.  But I know I can miss things.
> I'd probably look at any of the low end i.MX6 devices. We're hoping to
> get graphics support for most of them by F-21 GA.

I read this comment that it does not work yet, but will before F21 GA.
I will watch this then.

>>> In terms of vnc I have no idea what you're doing
>>> wrong, others have had it work without issue, and you seem to have at
>>> some point. What about remote X forwarding over ssh?
>>
>> After I complete some Redsleeve testing (what I will be using on my first
>> production units I ordered Monday), I will try a few more things with the
>> latest builds.  I don't remember when I last did remote X over SSH; so I
>> will have to do some reading as I have pretty much done VNC over SSH
>> tunneling.
> Redsleeve is nothing to do with this, I suggest you go and speak to
> who ever maintains it, it's completely off topic.

Poorly worded on my part.  I did not mean that Redsleeve has anything to
do over here.  Just that I have a RSEL test running right now.  As soon
as I can take a break on that, I will go back to Fedora and test more
with it.