[fedora-arm] recommend outdoor hardware

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 15:10:57 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 01:16:06PM +0200, Jozef Mlich wrote:
> Dear ARM fedora contributors,
>
> I am looking for cheap arm single board computer for outdoor use. I am
> afraid of damages in low temperature (-10 deg C).

I'd differ from Peter's opinion and say instead you should go for
something very cheap, on the basis that you can easily replace it if
it breaks.  A10 OLinuXino LIME (about $30) has several GPIO
connectors.  It is supported by the Fedora AllWinner Remix, and I
think by the main Fedora starting in Fedora 21(?)

https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A10/A10-OLinuXino-LIME/open-source-hardware
http://olimex.wordpress.com/2013/07/30/fedora-support-for-a10-a10s-a13-and-a20-soc-from-allwinner/

> Additionally I want to connect some i2c/spi sensors to it. I prefer
> fedora. Currently, I have proof of concept device using Raspberry PI. It
> does meteo station (wind speed / direction / temperature/ ..), adsb
> receiver, and camera.

You seem to have got something working already, but out of interest
did you consider a 1-wire weather station, and then just connecting
that to an ordinary computer which can be located far away and inside
in the warmth?

Rich.