[fedora-arm] wlan0 de-activated?

Clive Messer clive.m.messer at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 11:43:43 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-02-27 at 23:38 +1100, Robert Brown wrote:

> The on-board wireless adapter requires a rtl8188eu module which I have
> not got around to compiling yet so am using a USB device also a Realtek
> but requires a RTL8191SU module.

Robert,

Realtek based devices on the 8188/8192 family of chipsets tend to work
very reliably with the VENDOR (Realtek provided) drivers, but one of the
many issues with using the mainline drivers, (provided with the Fedora
kernel), is that they "fall off" the network after a period of time, and
you'll need to reboot to get them going again. Down/up network or
remove/insmod the module isn't enough.

As regards current wi-fi hardware, there is good mainline support for
Atheros and Intel, but at the bottom end of the market, (ie. cheap),
Ralink (Mediatek or whatever they are calling themselves now), and
Realtek.... you need to be using out-of-tree drivers. Just MHO.

Regards

Clive
--
Clive Messer <clive.m.messer at gmail.com>