[fedora-arm] wlan0 de-activated?

Robert Brown rebrown at exemail.com.au
Mon Mar 2 06:50:22 UTC 2015

Hi Clive

On 01/03/15 22:43, Clive Messer wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-02-27 at 23:38 +1100, Robert Brown wrote:
>
>> The on-board wireless adapter requires a rtl8188eu module which I have
>> not got around to compiling yet so am using a USB device also a Realtek
>> but requires a RTL8191SU module.
> Robert,
>
> Realtek based devices on the 8188/8192 family of chipsets tend to work
> very reliably with the VENDOR (Realtek provided) drivers, but one of the
> many issues with using the mainline drivers, (provided with the Fedora
> kernel), is that they "fall off" the network after a period of time, and
> you'll need to reboot to get them going again. Down/up network or
> remove/insmod the module isn't enough.
Yes I have found this to be the case. What is also interesting is that
there is also a power issue as Peter pointed out. I find that if I leave
the hdmi monitor powered on there must be some extra voltage support to
the bus because the USB wirless device stays up. When I power down the
monitor I lose the wireless device within a few minutes.

> As regards current wi-fi hardware, there is good mainline support for
> Atheros and Intel, but at the bottom end of the market, (ie. cheap),
> Ralink (Mediatek or whatever they are calling themselves now), and
> Realtek.... you need to be using out-of-tree drivers. Just MHO.
Thanks for the suggestion. My solution is going to be to get the
on-board device sorted using the rtl8188eu module to avoid the USB
device power issue. So I have grabbed the source files from git and am
engrossed in the joys of compiling.

Regards

Rob