[fedora-arm] Banana Pro brcm sdio wifi

Clive Messer clive.m.messer at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 19:43:23 UTC 2015

On Sat, 2015-03-07 at 19:57 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:

> Not sure what this means, could be due to this dongle having a different
> sdio module / 43362 revisison, could be that I'm running 4.0-rc1 and
> that something has changed for the better there.

Hmmm. The testing that I'm doing at the moment with the BananaPi/Pro is
using a 4.0.0-0.rc2.git1.2 kernel with F21 image.

I grabbed the 4rc2 SRPM from the rawhide kernel nodebug repo, applied a
few extra patches, (mostly concerned with adding sun4i-dma driver, pll2
clock and pre-requisites for mainline sunxi-codec support), which I have
been using to test audio out of headphone jack on Cubietruck, BananaPi
and BananaPro, with a F21 image......

SRPM is here....
http://www.squeezecommunity.org/repo/21/unstable/SRPMS/kernel-4.0.0-0.rc2.git1.2.1.fc21.src.rpm

RPMS here....
http://www.squeezecommunity.org/repo/21/unstable/arm/

Back to Broadcom wi-fi and brcmfmac driver issues.....

I didn't actually download the nvram file you specified, (but have
diffed against mine and it's exactly the same), as I already had the
firmware pre-packaged from f20, in a manner in which it could be used by
both ap6210 driver (when running sunxi kernel) and also with a symlink
"/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43362-sdio.txt"
-> ../ap6210/nvram_ap6210.txt, so the fmac driver works when running
mainline. (I had forgotten to install this on the BananaPro before I
first posted about the brcmfmac driver not working. Since rectified.)

http://www.squeezecommunity.org/repo/20/cubietruck/SRPMS/ap6210-firmware-1.0-1.fc20.src.rpm
http://www.squeezecommunity.org/repo/20/cubietruck/armhfp/ap6210-firmware-1.0-1.fc20.noarch.rpm

[fedora at bananapro brcm]$ rpm -ql ap6210-firmware
/usr/lib/firmware/ap6210
/usr/lib/firmware/ap6210/bcm20710a1.hcd
/usr/lib/firmware/ap6210/bd_addr.txt
/usr/lib/firmware/ap6210/fw_bcm40181a2.bin
/usr/lib/firmware/ap6210/fw_bcm40181a2_apsta.bin
/usr/lib/firmware/ap6210/fw_bcm40181a2_p2p.bin
/usr/lib/firmware/ap6210/nvram_ap6210.txt
/usr/lib/firmware/brcm
/usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43362-sdio.txt

One thing that is perplexing me, is that although I'm using a sunxi
kernel on my Cubietruck right now and ap6210 driver (which if I recall
correctly is based on brcmhd, rather than brcmfmac), I'm sure I have had
CubieTruck working with a 3.18 brcmfmac driver and didn't notice any
wi-fi issues. I'll switch that back to a 3.18 kernel tomorrow (and also
try the 4rc2) on the CT and see if I have any luck.

PS. Have also verified that /lib/firmware/bcrm/brcmfmac43362-sdio.bin
(from linux-firmware RPM package) and
the /usr/lib/firmware/ap6210/fw_bcm40181a2.bin (from my ap6210-firmware
RPM package) do not differ. So regardless of using brcmhd/ap6210 driver
or brcmfmac, and loading differently named nvram.txt/fw.bin depending on
driver, they are exactly the same nvram/firmware files, rather than
different revisions.

Anyway, it's no big deal. Have zero interest in the Bluetooth component,
but would be nice if the wi-fi worked with mainline driver, but it's
really no hardship to use a dongle.

Whatever the problems with the brcmfmac driver and CT/BananaPro.... It
must be specific to the Broadcom 40181 wi-fi chipset. I'm not seeing any
issues with a RevB1 Wandboard (4329 chipset), or RevC1 Wandboard (4330
chipset) and brcmfmac driver.....

Regards

Clive
--