badges The feedback I received from Fedora Design

Ralph Bean rbean at redhat.com
Tue Jun 4 17:11:46 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 04, 2013 at 12:35:17PM -0400, Jennifer Kotler wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> This is the feedback I received from Fedora Design.

Hi all, first I just wante to add some context here for posterity:
  Jenn's original email and responses:
  http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2013-May/006384.html
  http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2013-June/006385.html
  http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2013-June/006386.html

I'm cc'ing the badges at lists.fedoraproject.org list so these
discussions can be preserved and be open -- better that than "closed".
:)  You can subscribe to that list here -- it might make it easier in
the future if we just write to that list instead of cc'ing each other.

I also cc'd the design-team at lists.fedoraproject.org list again, so
maybe we can help answer some of their questions.

> *Suggestions from Fedora design*:
>
> -Is there any friend-badges interaction planed?

I think we can say "yes" to this.  On the wiki we have planned two
"types" of Fedora badges
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Open_Badges#Two_Types_of_badges

 - "Distro Badges" -- these are awarded by "the fedora project" and
   are automatic.
 - "Community Badges" -- these are awarded by one contributor to
   another.  I think this is what they mean by "friend badges".

> -Where would be planned to add this badges? as banner? at wiki? at FAS2?

The short answer is that: "we'll display them on a badges site that
doesn't exist yet.  David Gay (oddshocks) is working on that."

Down the road, we'll be able to display them anywhere!  Because we're
taking advantage of Mozilla's Open Badges Infrastructure, we should be
able to, in the future, build flexible embeddable view for badges all
around the web -- not just on fedora sites.  Read more here:
http://openbadges.org/

> - Simple auto-update banner that they can add at their blogs.

Yes.  This would rock.  Let's make it happen -- but let's slate it for
future development.  We can add it after we get our proof of concept
up and working and awarding real badges to real contributors.

> The next person liked my design and thought it would be preferable to the
> current start.fedoraproject.org, and then listed suggestions as follows:
>
> - Take the current start.fedoraproject.org page content
> - Add your design, and the latest news content, with FAS login
> - Add personal settings links, datas (eg. subscription management
> extraction from FAS2)
> - Add events, upcoming events and meetings, tasks (this is the
> currently under testing Fedora calendar project -
> https://fedocal.dev.fedoraproject.org/)
> - Add your badges design next to the person profile, and introduction
> if he/she logs in (this is currently in wiki-mostly used by
> ambassadors.)
>
> I am not sure if they meant that I just re-skin that site separately, or
> that we can add our functionality to that site.

This seems cool, but also like a much bigger project.  There is a
*lot* of stuff that *could* be added to start.fedoraproject.org, but I
think that's a question that needs to be considered and settled by the
websites team.  I'd be glad to build extensions to our badges stack to
allow it to be embedded in start.fp.o, but reorganizing start.fp.o
itself is outside the scope of our initial badges launch here (in my
opinion ;p)

FWIW, the "fedocal" app is actually out of testing and is in
production now!  https://apps.fedoraproject.org/calendar  Pierre made
that happen.  :)

> What do you think about these suggestions? Are any of these possible to
> develop? (ie: the auto updating banner)

Yeah!  Good stuff!  :)

-Ralph