Advice about upstream using old libraries

Javi Roman jroman.espinar at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 08:33:14 UTC 2015

Hello!

I'm working on some packages in my personal Github account [1] (Apache
Storm, Apache Kafka and Apache Flume). Maybe it could be useful for
this SIG when they are ready :-)

Meanwhile I have run into a problem and I need some advice:

The Apache Flume upstream code is using a old library (Apache Thrift
v0.8.0) however Fedora packages are using Apache Thrift 0.9.1 since
log time ago [2]. The problem is the v0.9.1 version breaks the
upstream building [3], and nobody is working in the issue right now.

The question is about the steps or procedure from a Fedora packager
point of view:

1. Try to fix the break code by myself, or working with the upstream
people in order to fix it (probably complex task).
2. Try to package the older version of the library and make it
available in the fedora packages repository.

any advice about this?

Many thanks!

[1] https://github.com/fedora-bigdata-rpms
[2] https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/thrift