Advice about upstream using old libraries

Will Benton willb at redhat.com
Sun Jan 4 12:22:31 UTC 2015

Hi Javi,

Unfortunately, the hard thing (#1) is almost always the right thing to do, since it can be difficult to get backwards-compatibility versions of libraries accepted into Fedora.  In the case of Thrift in particular, I believe that older versions have some firm dependencies that are no longer available in Fedora, so it might be hard to make the backwards-compatibility version in any case.  Thrift can be a big pain for packagers, since projects seem to freeze on the version that worked when they started using it.  In some cases, we've been able to carry patches against packages to make them work with recent versions of Thrift, so it might not be a terrible effort to make a fix -- and, if the community is interested, you could get such a patch upstream.

best,
wb