workflow help

Mike McLean mikem at redhat.com
Mon Feb 22 17:02:31 UTC 2010

On 02/22/2010 09:27 AM, Doug Reiland wrote:
> So, I import a src.rpm. What is the process for generating the binary rpms?
> I was assuming koji would do a rpnmbuild --rebuild via mock?? somehow.
>
> How are updates managed in fedora? I was assuming packages were always
> getting rebuilt based on some kind of trigger (source update, ...),
> and tagged, after testing or time-frame moved to an update repository.
> Is this or something like it done in koji or outside koji.

For a "how to use koji" doc from the building perspective, you should
read the Fedora developer docs:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Koji
Some of it is specific to their setup, but most of it is generic.

In Koji, a build is the set set of rpms that originate from a single
source rpm. All the binary and/or noarch packages and subpackages, as
well as the srpm itself, are part of the build. Since the srpm is the
defining element, the build is referred to by the name of the srpm.

Koji only knows about rpms that is tracks in its database. There are two
ways to get a build into koji:
  1) build it in koji (koji build)
  2) manually import an entire external build (koji import)

In the course of normal operation, manual imports should be rare.

To build from a source rpm, you simply need to pass that file to the
build command. When you imported your source rpm before, you were
creating a manually imported build that consisted solely of that source
rpm. Because Koji enforces N-V-R uniqueness you will not be able to
build that srpm normally; Koji thinks it's already been built.