koji chain-build usage

Mike McLean mikem at redhat.com
Fri Feb 26 16:43:20 UTC 2010

On 02/26/2010 11:27 AM, Doug Reiland wrote:
> Sorry for the previous email, it got sent while editing
>
> In koji-cli in handle_chain_build:
>         elif '://' in src:
>              # quick check that src might be a url
>              build_level.append(src)
>          elif '/' not in src and not src.endswith('.rpm') and
> len(src.split('-'))>= 3:
>              # quick check that it looks like a N-V-R
>              build_level.append(src)
>
> should it be:
>         elif '://' in src:
>              # quick check that src might be a url
>              build_level.append(src)
>          elif '/' not in src and src.endswith('.rpm') and
> len(src.split('-'))>= 3:
>              # quick check that it looks like a N-V-R
>              build_level.append(src)

Chain build is not designed to handle building from srpms -- only from
scm. For non-admins, building from srpm can only be used with --scratch
(and hence is useless for chaining since scratch builds cannot be used
in repos).

Note the error message under the else:
'"%s" is not a SCM URL or package N-V-R'
These are the only valid entries.

You can emulate chain-build with a series of build and wait-repo
commands if you like.

> I attempted to koji chain-build a couple of srpms for testing, but
> task is just sitting on "waitrepo".
> Also, I noticed it doesn't upload srpms so what is the BKM? do you
> import, then chain-build?

Suddenly, after several years of koji use, a number of folks seem to
have developed deep misconceptions about the import command.

The import command is an administrative command. It is used to import
externally built rpms. The idea of importing an srpm in order to build
it is contradictory. Both activities create a build with the same NVR,
hence they are conflicting.

The primary use of the import command is bootstrapping. You use it to
get a base set of builds into your koji instance in order get builds going.