Adding extra files to ISOs created by pungi

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Thu Nov 3 21:08:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 07:18:05PM +0100, Jos Vos wrote:

> When making a custom spin of Fedora for a specific set of machines
> using pungi, I feel the need to be able to add extra files to the
> ISO.  In particular one or more kickstart files that can be used
> during the installation.  Preferably this feature should be generic,
> adding some file/directory glob, IMHO.
>
> When googling I do not seem to be the only one with this idea.
> But, most of these mails are from 3+ years ago and I do not see an
> option in pungi allowing me to do this (but I hope I'm wrong...).
>
> So my question: is there a (maybe dirty) trick to do this.
>
> Now I'm thinking of re-mkisofs'ing the ISO, running implant* etc.
> again (did anyone make a script for this already?), but talking
> about dirtyness, this is a pretty "expensive" way of doing it.

To answer my own question (not sure if this is good or bad ;-)):

I got the the idea of using "growisofs" for adding (in my case) a
kickstart file and then running "implantisomd5" again.  This seems
to work (I only tested it with KVM with CD-ROM ISO files).  Example:

  growisofs -U -J -R -T -M Fedora-15-x86_64-DVD.iso ks.cfg
  implantisomd5 Fedora-15-x86_64-DVD.iso

This is pretty straightforward and easy.

Are there any caveats in manipulating the ISO image this way?

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>