koji 1.8.0-1 'toplink' Apache configuration

Mike McLean mikem at redhat.com
Wed Jun 19 04:03:07 UTC 2013

On 06/15/2013 02:39 PM, John Morris wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Updated to koji-1.8.0-1 over here.
>
> Koji repos reference local package URLs under the /kojifiles directory.
>   Since the previous version installed here, symlinks named 'toplink'
> have been placed in generated repos' top level directories.  The symlink
> is included package URL paths, and without 'FollowSymLinks' added to
> Apache's /kojifiles directory options, package URLs break.

Using toplink allows koji to create yum repos without a fixed baseurl
(rpm paths remain relative to the repo itself). This makes koji's repos
much more sane.

> Of course the Apache 'FollowSymLinks' behavior is disabled by default
> because of security implications.  There may be a more secure
> configuration, but we're not worried about that in our environment.  If
> others don't chime in with advice for more secure options, do your
> homework when security is a consideration in your environment!

Actually, FollowSymlinks is the default in the current apache httpd.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/core.html#options

"""
FollowSymLinks
     The server will follow symbolic links in this directory. This is
the default setting.
"""

This may be new in 2.4.