Study Abroad with a Fedora twist

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Tue Dec 29 18:07:21 UTC 2009

On 12/22/2009 09:28 PM, Max Spevack wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Francesco Ugolini wrote:
>
>> The idea sounds good. I don't want to use, during a brainstormin
>> process, some "kill words" (words that brake the ideas flow).
>>
>> Can rh or other sponsor found this?
>>
>> I don't know if there are people ready to spend for an accomodation
>> and for all the connected costs (we are talking about thusands dollars).
>>
>> Will this idea be open for everyone or to whom it can afford it?
>
> If we are smart about the way the idea is put together, the Community
> Architecture team should be able to throw some funding at this. We'd
> just have to be smart about what we do, and what the results of it are.
>
> There is precedent. CommArch has helped on a number of occasions to get
> Dimitris and Diego into the same place for a period of time, and the
> benefit to Transifex and thus to Fedora has been enormous.
>
> --Max

FWIW, I initially thought of this as something that students who were
already planning to study abroad could think about adding to their plans.

This does limit the idea, in the beginning, to students who can already
financially and academically afford to study away (for instance, I would
probably not have been able to do this myself) but it lets us try the
idea out without the need for much logistics (or budget) overhead.

The way I thought about it was that this might make a compelling
addition to Study Abroad applications for schools or internships/co-ops
- if you can tell an admissions committee about additional cool things
you'd be able to do if they let you come to their area, they tend to be
more likely to let you in.

--Mel