[fedora-classroom] Welcome and some ideas/thoughts moving forward

David bouncingcats at gmail.com
Sat May 16 07:20:22 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 May 2009 12:37:56 +1000
> David <bouncingcats at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As well as the wiki Classroom page, I suggest intensive use of the
>> fedora-announce list or fedora-general list to promote the classroom.
>> Email is cheap and easily filtered and has a very wide audience. I
>> suggest: 1) weekly announce email for all classes for the coming week;
>> 2) another reminder announce 24 hours prior to each class or set of
>> classes; 3) another announce 1 hour prior to each class. My thinking
>> behind each of these is: "1" allows students to make advance
>> arrangements; "2" is a timely reminder; "3" could really help to boost
>> the numbers attending, it will catch people who are already online and
>> interested. Perhaps "1" belongs on the classroom mailing list, but "3"
>> should definitely be on the fedora-general list.
>
> Well, since email reading is so varied I'm not sure a 1 hour reminder
> would be very helpfull. I do think it's worth announcing classes a bit
> before hand in other irc channels like #fedora to catch last minute
> folks who may not have known about the classes.
>
> Also, I think advertising on the fedoraforum is a good idea.
>
> We don't want to wear out our welcome on fedora-announce as that is
> supposed to be a very low traffic list. Perhaps just a monthly reminder
> there about upcoming classes and archives of completed classes in the
> last week?

OK, what do you think about my suggestions 1), 2), 3) above if applied
to this classroom mailing list?

I can imagine getting an email "oh there's a class starting in an
hour, great, I'm online so I'll check it out". Personally, I /would/
find a 1 hour reminder helpful, thats why I suggested it. YMMV,
depends on one's individual use habits I suppose. I monitor my email
closely and find email header lists a lot easier to setup a filter or
visually scan than chatter in an IRC channel.

I think one of the hardest things about being a teacher is to be open
to different ways of operating other than one's own, and to be able to
put oneself in the students shoes and listen when the students say
what will help them.