[Design-team] fedora logo modification for stainless steel plate laser

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Wed Jul 29 03:03:49 UTC 2009

> I'm definitly not a designer like you guys. I'm a technician.
> I love the fedora logo and I thought i can laser the logo on little stainless
> steel plates.

A thought - I don't know what model laser machine you have, but the ones
I've seen do both engraving and cutting. Could you engrave the
"infinity" part and cut out the "f-cross" part? That would keep the
aspect ratio intact.

Another technique I've seen done involves creating slits for shading -
the distance between the slits can be less than the thickness of the
material, since the slits are so narrow, especially if the material is
as strong as stainless steel is.
http://mchua.fedorapeople.org/sketches/lasercut-fedora.png

--Mel (an engineer who's played with laser cutters, and is also here to
learn design)