[Design-team] Fedora UX design

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Thu Apr 8 00:55:20 UTC 2010

> I find this description a bit fuzzy and I assuming part of the goal of
> documenting this is conflict resolution.  I would like see a few
> different decisions presented as examples to make the point you are
> trying to make.  So for example,  let's say the Desktop SIG wants to
> keep the current default theme and the design team proposes a new one or
> vice versa,  whose has the final authority?    Does whatever is upstream
> win or is the responsibility within one team or another?

"we work together". Really, the description is necessarily a bit fuzzy,
since the collaboration between various involved groups (fedora
designers, desktop team, upstreams) is a fluid process. And I would
argue that it is good to leave things on this level. Unless you want to
follow the Ubuntu model where the Canonical design team is calling the
shots behind closed doors...

> What if the design team proposes a new UI for system-config-printer or
> Anaconda?

The guideline suggests that design team should be consulted on Fedora
> specific UI changes but is there a mandate or even a strong
> recommendation to do so?

It has rarely been the case in the past that the design team has
proposed changes 'spontaneously'. Most cases that I have been involved
in have started with a request for design advice from the other side.

Maybe this is something that we should consider changing. I think it
could be interesting to have 'UX focus areas' for a release. E.g. we
could declare F14 to be the 'release where we examine and improve the
printing experience', and organize UI reviews/papercut sessions around
that topic. Of course, this requires buy-in from the maintainers and
developers of affected packages.

Matthias