Shotwell 0.5

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 18:13:56 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:10:52PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 03/17/2010 09:26 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >
> >> The current DVD image is basically defined by comps and if you edit
> >> comps, you can control the result and since rel-eng does the compose,
> >> aren't they responsible for it?  If not, how do we fix it?  We cannot
> >> just ignore that experience.  The desktop live image despite being the
> >> default doesn't cover a bunch of use cases (ability to select a
> >> different package set or even a different filesystem for example) and
> >> Mo's survey shows that the majority of users continue to download the
> >> DVD image and while taking the step of moving to a large image and
> >> offering a better out of box experience solves some of that, it doesn't
> >> make the proble go away.
> >>
> >> Alternatively,  if noone is responsible for it, why are we still doing it?
> >>
> > Correction to above -- actually, direct download numbers I pull from
> > the HTTP logs show that the Desktop Live image far outnumber the DVD.
> > Mo's survey shows that the majority of respondents to her survey
> > continue to download the DVD image. :-)
> >

> Sorry but I don't see the correction. Aren't you agreeing with on Mo's
> survey?

I'm saying that like most surveys that aren't truly random, you can't
rely on its results as representing anything about all our users.  The
intentions of the survey as I recall were to find out what lots of
people in some core communities -- the people who would see it on
Planet Fedora and Planet GNOME -- were doing as far as downloads and
installations go.  So that's why I said, it shows something about the
majority of respondents to the survey, not the majority of users in
general.  That was why I brought up HTTP logs, which give objective
results about what people are downloading directly.

Although BitTorrent stats lean toward the DVD, the number of weekly
direct downloads is much higher than BitTorrent, bringing the ratio
back far in favor of the Live image.