Debugging the 'something has gone wrong' screen

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Apr 19 17:06:56 UTC 2011

The 'Oh no! Something has gone wrong' screen is rather un-helpful from
the point of view of debugging. I'm working on a live image for the Test
Day on Thursday; the one I'm currently testing is very unstable on my
laptop, and hit that screen three times within two minutes of testing
(immediately on first attempted login, then shortly after the session
started the next two logins, while I was trying to get the wireless
connected). I don't know how I can provide a useful bug report, though,
because I've no idea what the screen really means (_what_ went wrong?
Why is it so unrecoverable that all you can do is pop up a BSOD and kick
me to gdm?) or how to debug it. A guide would help :) thanks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey