Font changes / Cantarell

Kyle McMartin kyle at mcmartin.ca
Tue Feb 15 20:08:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 02:34:09PM -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> The plan is to set the dconf keys used by gnome for fonts to 'Cantarell'
> explicitly, so we don't have to rely on the 'Sans' alias. For a while,
> the Adwaita theme was hardcoding the font to Cantarell, too. But we've
> since decided to use drop that and use the dconf key. The culprit might
> be /etc/fonts/conf.d/57-cantarell.conf. Unfortunately, I don't know
> enough about fontconfig syntax to figure that out on the spot...

I assume it's because it sorts first (57-c before 57-d) and so is shoved
into the sans-serif list before DejaVu Sans gets sorted. Moving the file
to 58- should work around that if that's what is desired. A quick look
at the fontconfig source seems to confirm that.

It is a pretty nice font though once you get used to the (fairly)
jarring change from Deja Vu Sans. It would be nice if the password blank
out circles were bigger/more obvious, though, I think?

--Kyle