Font changes / Cantarell

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Feb 15 20:09:03 UTC 2011

> On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 11:23 -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Jared K. Smith (jsmith at fedoraproject.org) said:
> > > I know that Gnome is using Cantarell as its default font, and it seems
> > > that something has changed in Fedora to make Cantarell the default
> > > font for all desktops.  I heard from the KDE SIG this morning that
> > > there is some confusion as to whether that was intended to be a global
> > > change, or a change only for the Gnome desktop.
> > >
> > > I don't pretend to have a clue when it comes to fonts or the
> > > fontconfig stuff -- but I'd like to kick off this discussion so that
> > > there is less confusion and that nobody tries to ascribe to malice
> > > that which can be explained by miscommunication.   Is there someone
> > > that understands the change that can fill me in on the missing
> > > details?
> >
> > If it has become the default font for all desktops, it's likely due
> > to it becoming the default mapping for Sans in fontconfig. (Whether that
> > was intentional, I don't know.)
> >

> Not intentional, afaik.
> The plan is to set the dconf keys used by gnome for fonts to 'Cantarell'
> explicitly, so we don't have to rely on the 'Sans' alias. For a while,
> the Adwaita theme was hardcoding the font to Cantarell, too. But we've
> since decided to use drop that and use the dconf key. The culprit might
> be /etc/fonts/conf.d/57-cantarell.conf. Unfortunately, I don't know
> enough about fontconfig syntax to figure that out on the spot...

It's numbered exactly the same as the dejavu-sans file, which doesn't
seem right; they should have ordering to prioritize whichever we prefer.
I don't know whether fontconfig prefers aliases earlier or later in the
list; I think it's earlier, so we'd want dejavu-sans' config file to be
numbered lower than cantarell's. I guess right now they go
alphabetically, so 57-cantarell gets read before 57-dejavu. Should be
pretty easy to test, anyway.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey