The new gnome-software application

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 09:13:21 UTC 2013

On 7 March 2013 22:59, Ryan Lerch <rlerch at redhat.com> wrote:
> I wasnt really asking for a "how do I install this application" document,
> but rather just some feedback on how you envisage everything fitting
> together in the context of the Fedora desktop and infrastructure.

Well, I'm not completely sure yet. fedora-tagger seems to provide
ratings and tags, and I'm not sure where screenshots will live. Also,
someone has got to make the call on how to ship the icons and
translations, else Fedora isn't going to support installing
applications at all. I'm all burnt out on that discussion.

> Decisions about this need to be decided upon. Things like do we want people
> to submit ratings without a FAS account? IIRC gnome-online-accounts doesnt
> have support for FAS, so how are we going to authenticate a user when
> submitting a rating?

We *really* don't want people to create a new account and login just
to rate something. Users should just be able to open the software
application, click an app, and click the star rating widget to choose
1 to 5 stars. Anything else is going to kill usability. Limiting
things to one vote per IP per application seems to be a good
compromise to avoid people gaming the stats.

Richard