The new gnome-software application

Allan Day allanpday at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 10:30:22 UTC 2013

Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Decisions about this need to be decided upon. Things like do we want people
>> to submit ratings without a FAS account? IIRC gnome-online-accounts doesnt
>> have support for FAS, so how are we going to authenticate a user when
>> submitting a rating?
>
> We *really* don't want people to create a new account and login just
> to rate something. Users should just be able to open the software
> application, click an app, and click the star rating widget to choose
> 1 to 5 stars. Anything else is going to kill usability. Limiting
> things to one vote per IP per application seems to be a good
> compromise to avoid people gaming the stats.

That's certainly an attractive proposition. There might be
counterarguments about the need for authentication, and that's
something we can look at as a part of the design process.

Either way, my primary concern right now is getting the basic
functionality (browsing, searching, installing, removing, updating)
working really well. That's more than enough work (and enough
challenges) to be going on with.

Allan