Fedora Logo on the login screen

Ryan Lerch rlerch at redhat.com
Tue Mar 19 14:59:33 UTC 2013

On 03/19/2013 10:25 AM, Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-03-19 at 09:02 -0400, Ryan Lerch wrote:
>
>> However if the mark of the brand is *nowhere* you are merely promoting
>> positive associations with a generic grey background.
>>
>> http://ryanlerch.fedorapeople.org/login/nologo.png
>>
>> I am not suggesting that we slap logo(s) over everything, simply include
>> a clear definition to the user of brand at the point they start using
>> the system.
> Genuine question: why do you feel the login screen is a good place to
> promote any kind of positive brand association?

This is the entry point to the Fedora user experience. Having the logo
on the sign in screen is conceptually similar to having a sign on the door.

> All I usually want to do
> from that screen is to get out of it as quickly and seamlessly as
> possible. Under this perspective, having it plainly unbranded and
> focused exclusively on its task — get me to my session and my work —
> makes sense to me.
>
> Cosimo

 From a usability perspective, I fail to see how a subtle logo here
makes it harder to use. Having some user testing the hypothesis that a
logo reduces productivity of the login screen would be a good place to
start before removing whole elements.

Finally, a question. If we don't have the sign the doorway to Fedora,
then where should the name of the brand be presented?  I think it would
be a step backwards to have the OS brand mark polluting the main
interface of the desktop that a user stares at for 8 hours a day.

regards,
ryanlerch