Fedora Logo on the login screen

Marco Scannadinari marco at scannadinari.co.uk
Wed Mar 20 16:55:10 UTC 2013

Did I send this email? It wasn't appearing in my Sent folder...

"... the logo was felt to be a distracting ... [-] The logo was a strong
visual presence placed above the user list: this drew the eye to it,
making it the first thing you saw, and distracted you from the parts of
the screen that are actually useful to the user (ie. the user list)."
    - Allan Day

TBH I don't think that the logo is 'distracting' - it won't affect my
ability to click on my account and log in, and it won't make the process
any faster if it was gone - but I think that the Fedora logo embossed
into the background would look much nicer and less visually intrusive
anyway:
    Wordmark               http://i.imgur.com/hoksPXG.png

    Wordmark + Logomark    http://i.imgur.com/PQ8xAXz.png

Excuse the crude lighting effects - I hand-drew them - but you get the
concept.

If anyone wants a blank gdm screen for mock ups by the way, here it is -
http://i.imgur.com/9lnPHbd.png

<rant type="offtopic">On a side note, isn't the 'Not listed?' link
useless? If the user
isn't listed in gdm, then it's either a bug or the account isn't
created, right? Even if the account was created to be hidden, 'Not
listed?' is obvious to the user because: a) (s)he deliberately created
the account to be invisible, and b) It implies that there is something
wrong with the software.</rant>
--
Marco Scannadinari <zheoffec at fedoraproject.org>