Fedora Logo on the login screen

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 20 21:02:58 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-03-20 at 16:42 -0400, Ray Strode wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I don't necessarily think this is a *bad* Thing, but it is definitely
> > Thing. There is a definite trend towards our default live image and
> > package set becoming a lot more GNOME-y and a lot less Fedora-y.
>
> I don't see why more gnome integration implies being less fedora-y. A more integrated experience is good for Fedora and Fedora's image.
> We're way better than we used to be and it's because we've made things more seamless.

Well, it's less Fedora-y in that we used to have this kind of conception
where there were desktop environments, controlled by the desktop team.
Then the login manager, system config tools, and probably some other
stuff I'm not thinking of were controlled more or less by the
distribution. GDM did stuff like setting language and keyboard layout,
and wasn't really considered a part of the GNOME stuff (I don't think).
It was expected that you could just swap out DMs (like skvidal thinks is
still the case) and everything else should just deal with it. The
system-config-* tools were part of Fedora and used across all desktops -
it didn't matter what desktop you ran, you used system-config-keyboard
and system-config-display and so on.

I think other desktops still think of things somewhat in those terms,
but GNOME definitely doesn't: GNOME wants its own stack, almost top to
bottom. And I think GNOME kinda assumes that every other desktop should
handle its own login manager and its own configuration tools too. So I
think there might be a bit of a cognitive disconnect there.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey