Fedora Logo on the login screen

Ray Strode rstrode at redhat.com
Wed Mar 20 21:19:27 UTC 2013

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
> Well, it's less Fedora-y in that we used to have this kind of
> conception
> where there were desktop environments, controlled by the desktop
> team.
Fedora desktop team has only ever controlled the desktop spin, which uses GNOME.
Other SIGs have controlled other desktops since there have been spins.

> Then the login manager, system config tools, and probably some other
> stuff I'm not thinking of were controlled more or less by the
> distribution.
what do you mean by "the distribution" ? We all work on the distribution right?

> GDM did stuff like setting language and keyboard
> layout,
> and wasn't really considered a part of the GNOME stuff (I don't
> think).
GDM has always been a part of the gnome ecosystem. that's what the G in GDM stands for.

> It was expected that you could just swap out DMs (like skvidal thinks
> is
> still the case) and everything else should just deal with it.
So now, gnome-shell does sort of require GDM to have full functionality, and GDM does
require gnome-shell to have full functionality.  That's definitely an example of integration that didn't used to exist that does now.  I don't see why that integration makes Fedora less Fedora-y though.

> The
> system-config-* tools were part of Fedora and used across all
> desktops -
> it didn't matter what desktop you ran, you used
> system-config-keyboard
> and system-config-display and so on.
It's true, we've tried to get rid of the need for the system-config-tools. In some cases we've made them completely unnecessary (thanks ajax, thanks dcbw, etc).  I think make things like those more integrated doesn't make Fedora less Fedora-y though. I think it just makes Fedora more cohesive.

> I think other desktops still think of things somewhat in those terms,
> but GNOME definitely doesn't: GNOME wants its own stack, almost top
> to bottom.
Not sure about GNOME, but I can speak for myself as a gnomie and long time fedora desktop member. I want users to have a top-to-bottom integrated experience. But I think if you asked anyone working on fedora if in general they want the user to have the opposite of a smooth integrated experience, they would say of course not.  So it's really a matter of the specifics of how to get there, I guess.

--Ray