Alt+Tab on screen display not disappearing

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Thu May 30 17:37:54 UTC 2013

On 02/28/2013 01:08 PM, Ryan Lerch wrote:
> I have not created another bug, but i think there are a few in the
> GNOME bugzilla that cover similar issues.
>
> When my last occurrence happened, a notification was displaying at the
> same time. But i could not reproduce it afterwards either.

OK, I've had it happen to me twice (after not happening for since the
last email) this week.

It seems to happen when I change windows using the mouse (clicking on
window to gain focus). Both times I was changing from a Pidgin
conversation to a Firefox window but I cannot easily reproduce it.

When I clicked on Firefox, my mouse was no longer passing clicks to
other windows (including Firefox). My keyboard still functioned,
however, ALT+TAB did not function correctly. When I pressed ALT+TAB it
did not allow me to switch windows, but instead kept adding a new
ALT+TAB window over the previous one each time I pressed the keys.

I could use the mouse on the ALT+TAB window, and reduce the ALT+TAB
windows by clicking on an item. After killing gnome-shell and restarting
it my mouse/keyboard returned to normal.

>From this account, I feel there is a race condition somewhere involving
mouse focus/control in gnome-shell or it may be a GTK3 bug.

I'm uncertain opening a bug would be fruitful as Red Hat maintainers
ignore Gnome bugs for non-rawhide versions and I cannot run rawhide on
this system.