Samba network printers unusable with default Fedora Desktop installs

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon May 13 20:02:59 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 8:27 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-05-13 at 21:06 +0200, drago01 wrote:
>
>> Huge? Maybe in if you are using a system from the early 90s ...
>> otherwise the size is hardly an issue.
>
> Peter has several cases where size definitely is an issue on-tap. I'm
> sure he can trot them out for you again, but it's in the devel@ archives
> several times. We like to think we can assume everyone has 100GB lying
> around all the time, but it's still not really the case.

Sure can :-)

* Cloud installs like amazon where you pay per mb or gb and you
literally want JeOS (Just Enough OS)
* OLPC XO-1 has 1Gb of nand, XO-1.5/1.75/4 have configurations of
2/4/8Gb depending on the model or options
* A lot of netbooks only have between 4 and 32Gb of storage and you
don't want to use all the install for the OS alone
* A lot of ARM devices only have a small storage space eg the new
shiny Beagle Bone Back only has 2Gb of eMMC storage by default.
* Various chromeOS devices only come with small amounts of local
storage. Hell even the new $1300 Pixel only comes with 32Gb of storage

Ultimately there's a lot of people that don't even own printers with
modern devices that still only come with small amounts of storage.
PackageKit is suppose to have the ability to install drivers on demand
so we don't need to install all the drivers just in case someone might
want to use one of the drivers.

Peter