FESCo Workstation PRD follow up questions

Alberto Ruiz aruiz at redhat.com
Wed Jan 29 16:21:22 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-29 at 10:11 -0500, Christian Schaller wrote:
> Yeah, liveusb-creator is pretty nice and I agree it should probably be the default download, although I guess we
> want instructions for Windows/Mac users too. I assume there are freeware tools out there for Windows/Mac we can point
> people too? Also when I tried using the liveusb-creator I did discover that it fails horribly if the filesystem on
> the USB stick is not vfat. So I will look assigning someone to work on it to somehow deal
> with that case, either through offering to replace the existing filesystem or at least failing gracefully.

What I usually end up doing is using UNetbootin when trying to come up
with an image from Mac or Windows.

In Mac we could offer a .dmg file with UNetbootin and the image included
in it so that when the .dmg is mounted you could just ask people to drag
the image in UNetbootin for it to just prompt you for the USB media.

One thing I should note is that my recent experience trying to get
Fedora on a Mac has been somewhat painful. The USB media didn't boot on
EFI mode so GRUB would not detect the system as an EFI one and it would
create the wrong boot environment. If we could get this right in one of
the upcoming releases it would make a huge difference for Mac users.

On Windows we could achieve the same thing with a .zip file and a README
file I guess.

> Christian

Cheers,
Alberto Ruiz