Underlying DE for the Workstation product

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jan 31 19:11:56 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-01-31 at 11:00 +0100, Rui Tiago Cação Matos wrote:
> On 31 January 2014 10:47, Christian Schaller <cschalle at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Through the Software installer there will be other options available for install, like KDE. These will be installed alongside the default package set. We will not have a replace default option, just an add one, in order to ensure that the default package set can be targeted by 3rd parties.
>
> This is an interesting one. Do we want an application installer
> (that's my view of what gnome-software is) advertising and enabling
> users to install something like a totally different desktop
> environment?

Aside from the question of correctness, I'm not sure it's going to be a
hugely popular deployment method, and certainly not sufficient as the
only one. A lot of people don't want to have to install GNOME in order
to get to KDE.

So, it might be of use to some people to have a way of deploying other
desktops from within GNOME - and they may benefit from "painting within
the lines" of using the 'Workstation product', where they keep the
'mandatory packages', whatever they turn out to be, installed alongside
their preferred DE - but I'm fairly sure it won't satisfy everyone, and
we will still want to have some kind of a way for people to deploy a
Fedora system with just KDE or just LXDE or just Cinnamon or just
(whatever desktop they want).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey