systemd-networkd and network management plans

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Sep 15 15:28:44 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-09-12 at 20:24 -0400, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>
> For a long time,  NetworkManager handled only wifi and simpler connection
> needs and although it now has support for bridging, bonding etc, it seems
> not integrated with GNOME very much.
>
> Meanwhile, systemd-networkd handles a lot more of that but doesn't handle
> wifi (yet?) and I am not sure what the plans are between NM and
> systemd-networkd to avoid code duplication.
>
> Do we still ship the older network scripts in Fedora workstation? What are
> the plans to integrate systemd-networkd if any?  What is the future of NM?

>From the NM side, we're continuing the push that started a couple years
ago to make NM a cooperative citizen by listening for external changes,
by continuing to reduce the size and dependency set of the core NM
daemon, and by making many previous dependencies optional (dbus-daemon,
PolicyKit, interface-specific daemons).  Many of these features already
landed in NM 0.9.10, and many more are planned for NM 1.0.

I cannot speak to the systemd plans, though NM is investigating the
DHCP/IPv4LL library code (that was ported from ConnMan over to systemd)
to replace dhclient/dhcpcd.  My understanding is that systemd-networkd
will never depend on external libraries or daemons, which somewhat
limits the types of interfaces that it can work with.

Dan