Some suggestions for Marketing notes for FW 21

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Mon Sep 15 16:23:23 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-09-15 at 11:31 -0400, Christian Schaller wrote:
> Not sure what you are saying here, but there is a patch and it will be
> in the
> gnome-terminal-3.13.90-2 package.

Great! It looks like this work actually occurred the day after I wrote
my mail, so I'm going to pretend that my comment provided some of the
motivation to get transparency working. :)

> > * The ease of installation section describes an installer that has
> > virtually no similarity to anaconda.
> Because we are using the live image as our installer, which of course
> rely
> on Anaconda, but still has a very different use experience from the
> traditional
> installer.

But here is what you described:

"We want the installation of the Fedora Workstation to be as
straightforward and simple as possible. For the Fedora Workstation we
have distilled this down to selecting the layout of your physical media
and then pressing install. Or if you want it even easier just let the
installer choose the disk layout for you."

It sounds like you're advertising the absence of UI for language
selection, timezone selection, keyboard layout selection, hostname
selection, setting the root password, and initial user creation, all of
which are still present in the live installer. It's true that most are
optional steps, but language selection is not, and you also have to
either create a root password or a user account.

Also, the installer's user interface has changed very little since F18,
so there's really no point in advertising installer improvements as a
Fedora Workstation feature.

> > * The Qt theming section describes a theme that to my understanding
> was
> > never written.
> http://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/mbriza/qt-gtk/

Awesome!