Some suggestions for Marketing notes for FW 21

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Mon Sep 22 19:03:16 UTC 2014

On 09/09/2014 07:46 AM, Christian Schaller wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Here are some draft notes I prepared to try to help our marketing team
> build up some release notes and press material on the Fedora
Workstation release.
> Already sent it to the Working Group members, but I thought I send it
out to these two
> lists for further review and suggestions.
>
> Christian
> --------------------
>
> Fedora Workstation Marketing
>
> The Fedora Workstation is a new take on desktop development from the
Fedora
> Community. Instead of seeing ourselves primarily as passive packagers
of any
> software we manage to find we are now instead picking the best
components out
> there and doing a lot of of work to integrate and polish them,
presenting you
> with something you will feel is a much more polished and targeted product
> than what you seen before from the Fedora community. We want our
desktop operating
> system to solve your problems, not be your problem.
>
> Easy access to all your Software
> The cornerstone of the Fedora Workstation is our Software installer
application, or
> our appstore if you like.. It provides a modern and fast interface for
finding all
> any kind of desktop software for your Fedora Workstation. In Fedora 21
we are using
> the new hawkeye backend which will ensure a responsive and fast user
experience and our
> packagers have worked ardently with the relevant upstreams to greatly
improve the
> amount of applications that provide the needed information to populate
the Software
> installer.
>
> Improvements to the Terminal application
> We want to make sure developers have a great experience and we do know
that a strong
> terminal application is a core part of that.  Due to this we have
worked to integrate
> a set of new features in the terminal like support for transparent
backgrounds, automatic
> title updates which will make identifying different terminals easier,
allow you do easily
> toggle all system keybindings on and off in the terminal and in the
GNOME desktop overview
> you can search for terminal running processes by name.
>
> Experimental Wayland Support
> We have a usable Wayland session available in Fedora Workstation 21.
Wayland is the new and
> exciting technology that will power the linux desktops going forward.
With Fedora Workstation 21
> we offer you a unique opportunity to trial this technology and see how
well your applications work
> with it or to start experimenting with making your applications take
advantage of some of the new
> abilities Wayland will enable. A lot of the core Wayland development
has been done by Fedora
> Workstation contributors so this is your chance to try out this new
exciting technology straight
> from the source.
>
> Developer Assistant
> As a developer we recognize that you need to be able to set up a host
of different development
> environments in an easy and straightforward manner. In Fedora
Workstation we offer the
> Developer Assistant to help with this task. With the aid of the
Developer Assistant you can
> quickly set up development environments for a long range of language
runtimes and IDEs. And
> thanks to its integration of the new Fedora Software Collections
multiple versions of the
> different languages are available to fit with your business requirements.
>
> Ease of installation
> We want the installation of the Fedora Workstation to be as
straightforward and simple as possible.
> For the Fedora Workstation we have distilled this down to selecting
the layout of your physical
> media and then pressing install. Or if you want it even easier just
let the installer choose the
> disk layout for you. We also realize that the future of installations
is not optical disks which
> is why we ship with an easy to use tool for creating a bootable USB
stick.

> Toolkit integration
> You have a job to do and want to use whatever tools that let you get
that job done. The Fedora Workstation
> recognize that which is why we have been hard at work making sure that
applications
> using as many toolkits as possible feel as native as possible in your
Fedora Workstation. Be that the
> new themeing for Qt which makes applications written using that
toolkit feel native or the ability
> to run HTML5 webservices in a chromeless window, making them feel like
a natural extension to your desktop.

> HiDPI Support
> Technology never stands still and as a software developer you are used
to using the best technology available.
> Which is why we have spent a lot of time and effort on making sure
that we support the new
> generation of HiDPI displays well. Phoronix recently called our
desktop the best of HiDPI.

> Exciting roadmap
> This Fedora Workstaiton release is not the end, it is the beginning of
a new era for Fedora on the desktop. We have an
> exciting roadmap lined up aiming to bring a range of exciting new
technologies to the linux desktop like containers,
> smarter virtual machines, better development tools, more web
integration and so on. So if you want to be part of the
> future of the linux desktop be sure to get on board now!

I had a thought churning around while following this thread; there isn't
a most appropriate place to reply so I'll go back to the beginning :)

I had a vision of Fedora Workstation as being made for developers in two
contexts.  First, targeting developers by providing a functional and
reliable enviroment for their workstation.  Second, providing a target
*for* developers by making the environment more stable, providing stable
APIs, and generally giving developers a platform that they can expect
their applications to predictably coexist with in ways I don't have the
expertise to list out :P

Am I making a bad inference here?  If not, and being a target for
developers' own products is a product-level goal, the idea should be
developed in the marketing copy.

- --
- -- Pete Travis
 - Fedora Docs Project Leader