Repeat post

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Sat Aug 8 06:09:20 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-08-07 at 10:56 +0930, Andrew Walton wrote:
> Please make this topic part of your discussions, there's a lot more
> people living in rural areas than you might think.

I see this as a problem that needs to be solved, but I will be blunt:
somebody has to be interested in implementing it, and I am not sure
anybody is.

I think the right place to add a new setting is the network panel: you
should be able to mark a particular connection as being bandwidth
-limited. Then at the *very least* that should be used to turn off
automatic checks for updates, since we get complaints about that from
bandwidth-limited users quite frequently. I am not sure if we want to
take the route of using the firewall to prevent applications from
accessing the network; it seems reasonable since it would require
toggling a hard-to-find setting, but some design work would be needed
to make the prompts work well.

Michael